Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My lucky escape? (An appointment with Richard Farrell)
08-03-2009, 06:37 AM,
Re: My lucky escape? (An appointment with Richard Farrell)
leamon Wrote:Why are we disputing what he said he saw? That's not the point right? I'm sure he isn't making things up, so why are we persecuting him??

To answer your question, yes I honestly believe you made a fortunate escape. The way he kept going "ooops, I'll make that bigger" should show you that that's probably what their customer service is going to be like. Their mission statement is: "Oops, we did it again"...at their customers' expense.

$2000 for a couple of units, is not worth it. You've just saved $2000, consider yourself lucky!!!

Congratulations on discovering Toplace!

Leamon

Thanks Leamon! Yes indeed the 'oooops, I'll make it bigger' approach would have been an interesting sight for passers by as I strolled into town on a windy day with my new hair flying two feet above my head :o

Only since perusing the Toplace forum have I learnt about 'Full-Caps' something I am dying to try out and btw something that RF never mentioned as a possiblity given the extreme nature of my hair-loss. Just gotta get over my nerves at the prospect of cocking-up my first order/making a template myself and so on and I'l be halfway to feeling a lot better in the confidence department...I hope!

All the best!
08-03-2009, 08:18 AM,
Gern Blanston Wrote:my most vivid memory of Richard is him calling my mother a tramp. I get so upset with myself when I think of all the money I gave to that company.

WTF was that all about mate? :o
08-03-2009, 11:30 AM,
We were making a new template and I was explaining to him that my natural hair was very wavy in the back but that hair from the top of my head was much straighter. He told me this was typically a native american trait and my mom was probably boinking the mail man or something. Then I told him I was the only one in my family who had natural (and very distinct) blonde highlights in my otherwise dark hair. He took a look and said, "God, she's a tramp!"

I mean, whatever. Obviously he was just trying to kid around but in my eyes we hadn't built up that sort of rapport. In fact every time I had an appointment I felt like I was being rushed out of there as quickly as possible. The systems were always over priced but when I first became a client the customer service was much better. In a few short years everything changed. They seemed more focused on expanding than respecting their existing clients. They've got a good product. They do. But it's criminal to charge what they do.

You most definitely made a lucky escape.
08-03-2009, 10:34 PM,
[quote="Gern Blanston"] Then I told him I was the only one in my family who had natural (and very distinct) blonde highlights in my otherwise dark hair. He took a look and said, "God, she's a tramp!"

I mean, whatever. Obviously he was just trying to kid around but in my eyes we hadn't built up that sort of rapport. In fact every time I had an appointment I felt like I was being rushed out of there as quickly as possible. quote]

He's brash and flamboyant me thinks and perhaps that appeals to some people, not to me tho. I like down to earth, empathic people. RF's image portayed is 'I'm the God of hair replacement'. To each his own I say and again this is my humble opinion. I got that rushed feeling too Gern. My appointment was late in the day and I got the feeling RF was eager to leave and catch his flight back home.
As for the 'tramp' comment, well, that's overstepping the mark, too much too soon. My girlfriend and I say the most outrageous things to each other but we know eachother inside out and back to front and that's the difference I guess.
BA oversteps the mark, in some peoples minds anyway. I have met him tho and he seems like a no-nonsense, this is how it is, FACT type of guy (and he's from the north of England where the men are men and so are the women!) :lol: He put me straight on the hair replacement industry and I'm grateful to him for that. I will not get fleeced again.

All the best matey.
08-04-2009, 10:28 AM,
Hopefully this will settle the "does he or doesn't he" controversy. A few years ago, I was investigating new hair replacement resources as alternate solutions for the poor service and bad hair quality that I had been receiving at a Hair Club. There was a Farrell salon locally here in Los Angeles. I had two appointments with Richard Farrell himself. The first appointment when I questioned how he got into the business he said that his hair was his own. He even showed me the roots close up. A little too close up for me but it verified what he said about his own hair. It was sort of thick and luscious and I was sort of envious. The second meeting I noticed that his hair seemed to be a little dryer and sort of frizzy. I asked him if he was doing something different with his hair because it did not look the same to me. He told me that he shaved his own hair off and decided to wear one of his own hair units. He said that he wanted to see and understand what his customers felt when they were wearing hair pieces. I was not impressed with the result. I thought that I might as well stay with Hair Club. They were definitely cheaper than Farrell's units. I last told him that I would let him know my decision. Luckily soon after I discovered Toplace, bought my first unit and have been happy ever since.

Logan
08-04-2009, 12:18 PM,
Logan Wrote:The second meeting I noticed that his hair seemed to be a little dryer and sort of frizzy. I asked him if he was doing something different with his hair because it did not look the same to me. He told me that he shaved his own hair off and decided to wear one of his own hair units. He said that he wanted to see and understand what his customers felt when they were wearing hair pieces. I was not impressed with the result.

Logan

That's cleared that up nicely thanks Logan. I was beginning to doubt my own fragile sanity for a while. It seems odd to me that he would wear a HP and have such an obvious lace parting on display. That's a question I cant answer. Hope youre sorted now mate.

All the best.
08-04-2009, 04:17 PM,
That's interesting that he went so far as to shave off his thick growing hair to experience life as a hair wearer. That's what his ventilator Juan does as well. Farrell definitely had good very thick hair when I was a customer in 2002.
08-04-2009, 07:36 PM,
dino Wrote:That's interesting that he went so far as to shave off his thick growing hair to experience life as a hair wearer. That's what his ventilator Juan does as well. Farrell definitely had good very thick hair when I was a customer in 2002.

I remember hearing about Juan shaving off his own hair and wearing a system. I guess Farrell did the same thing. I never met Farrell when I had my consultation. I met his right hand man Dillon. Nice guy but was like dealing with a used car salesman.

KenJJ
08-05-2009, 10:08 PM,
dino Wrote:That's interesting that he went so far as to shave off his thick growing hair to experience life as a hair wearer. That's what his ventilator Juan does as well. Farrell definitely had good very thick hair when I was a customer in 2002.

Hi Dino, I read a post where you posted some full-cap pics on Snapfish. Are they still there mate? I'd love to have a look.
08-05-2009, 10:10 PM,
KenJJ Wrote:

I remember hearing about Juan shaving off his own hair and wearing a system. I guess Farrell did the same thing. I never met Farrell when I had my consultation. I met his right hand man Dillon. Nice guy but was like dealing with a used car salesman.

KenJJ

Good grief Ken, I would'nt want a used car salesman to sell me a used car let alone a hair piece. Did you pay up mate?