Hello There, Guest! Register

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cancelling hair contract
02-25-2009, 03:42 PM,
Cancelling hair contract
Hi guys!

I am wondering if any can post experience or advise on how to cancel a contract with a hair club, i am currently with Transitions under their Hair for Life contract. I am wondering if they will try to charge or penalty or if I can tell them I am not coming back and just start ordering through toplace and doing this on my own.

I know how to bond systems pretty well now, but my worry is finding someone in Indiana who can cut me in. I'm considering a robocut or trying the mail order cut in I've read about in the archives. I'm just nervous, but the 300.00 per month with Transitions is killing my budget.

thanks in advance
02-25-2009, 03:55 PM,
Re: Cancelling hair contract
Call your credit card company and say you lost your card. That way they cannot keep billing it once you stop going. I have heard they will continue to bill you for a while even if you cancel with them.
02-25-2009, 07:21 PM,
Yeah, just cancel your card and don't return the calls. The amount of time and effort it would take to get legal action would not be worth it for a hair replacement salon.

Especially in the economic times, I predict alot of these places going under. People can barely afford necessary expenses, much less overpriced hair contracts.
02-26-2009, 12:40 AM,
Fortunately I have never been forced into a contract but what if a person simply decieds they are not going to wear hair? Is THAT against the law? What if you simly told them that you are done with being a hair wearer? " Hello and thank you for your service but I am going natural now and will no longer be wearing a hair piece", Are these contracts for life? Are they that iron clad that you become a slave for the rest of your life? I don,t know of any service we pay for that would make someone pay throught the nose without a choice of wether they want the service or not? if you choose to pay for somehting, you get to choose if you want it or not....

How long do these "contracts" usually last?
02-26-2009, 06:10 AM,
Indyguy, when I was a member of Hair Club for Men, I simply just called and told them no thanks. Came to TopLace and never looked back.

As for cut-ins, you can go to any salon and do them. Don't bother with a specialized hairpiece salon, as they usually will overcharge the heck out of you for such a simple job. Find a stylist you like at either a reputable local salon or a MasterCuts, Great Clips, etc.

I simply wet all the hair and comb it back and walk into my salon and my stylist just cuts away as if its real hair. As long as it's attached properly, what do they care?
02-26-2009, 10:48 AM,
thx for the replies guys! i think i am going to try this. i get a cut in next month so i will try to order and see how i do and if all goes well i will not return to them again! i was nervous about telling them i wanted to cancel because i figured it would just turn into a high pressure sales pitch on how they could 'help' me continue to afford it or something. i think i will just not go back or return calls. they don't have my cc on file to auto bill so i'm good there. a few months ago they told me my plan was going to increase 80 dollars a month, when i balked they said how about we split the difference with you and it will 'only' go up 40 dollars, like it was a big favor. i now wonder if 40 was the goal to begin with for them. afterwards, it felt like a shakedown and left a bad taste in my mouth. i hope this all works out because the extra money each month i'd save sure could come in handy!

thx to everyone who posts their knowledge and pix, this is a great place for information. i have been reading the archives and am excited to begin this new adventure!
02-26-2009, 12:20 PM,
My cancelling of the contract was very smooth. I happen to quit when I was about to sign on for another year. I already found Toplace and have been anticipating the switch for a while. My price too was going up by at least $50 per month. I called and left a message that I was not renewing and followed up with a letter. All went well. In fact they already ordered me my two units for the year. My stylist does this on the side and has purchased these. I had one cut in and have one in her possesion that I told her I would take as I need. $300 each including haircut, cutin and attachment. So really all worked out great.
I dont know if I would go to BoRics for my cut in. I would rather send to Debbie and fine tune when it comes back.
02-26-2009, 02:42 PM,
I actually did something similar before I switched to Toplace.

Instead of signing a contract, I offered to order the pieces one at a time with cut in and color. They were happy to do it. We agreed on $400 for cut in and color. Which, if you break down the cost of a cut and color at a salon and the cost of a hairpiece, it wasn't that outlandish of a deal. And, of course, they made money, so they were happy.

But, its obviously cheaper to buy it through Toplace and do the cut in and color through a different route. So that's what I do now.

Best of luck on the cancellation! Keep us updated on what happens!
03-01-2009, 06:40 AM,
Hi Indy. This bulls**t just burns me the hell up. If these people give you even the slightest bit of trouble when you cancel your agreement with them, send me an email, and I'll call them for you. I'm a tax attorney, but any first year law student can deal with contract law. Or if you're really uptight about cancelling, let me know and I'll write them a cancellation letter for you. Avarice and greed throw me into fits of irritation, and these people are absolutely the worst. Let us know how it turns out. And keep in mind that my offers to help are sincere.
03-21-2009, 10:17 AM,
I was a member of Transitions in Wisconsin for 10 years and had the hair for life contract.....until I discovered toplace 3 years ago. i was paying them $3,700 a year!! If you read the fine print of the contract you you should find that every year the contract is "up." i simply paid till the end of the contrat for the year and that was that.......I have NEVER looked back....i do my own cut ins and I'm not stuck with the crummy mono pieces/mono front THICK skin all the rest of the piece pieces that they supplied for $280 per month.....